From Drew Kutcharian <d...@venarc.com>
Subject Re: Document storage
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2012 18:11:44 GMT
> I think this is a much better approach because that gives you the
> ability to update or retrieve just parts of objects efficiently,
> rather than making column values just blobs with a bunch of special
> case logic to introspect them.  Which feels like a big step backwards
> to me.

Unless your access pattern involves reading/writing the whole document each time. In that
case you're better off serializing the whole document and storing it in a column as a byte[]
without incurring the overhead of column indexes. Right?

On Mar 29, 2012, at 9:23 AM, Jonathan Ellis wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Jeremiah Jordan
> <JEREMIAH.JORDAN@morningstar.com> wrote:
>> Its not clear what 3647 actually is, there is no code attached, and no real example
in it.

>> Aside from that, the reason this would be useful to me (if we could get indexing
of attributes working), is that I already have my data in JSON/Thrift/ProtoBuff, depending
how large the data is, it isn't trivial to break it up into columns to insert, and re-assemble
into columns to read.