From Praveen Baratam <praveen.bara...@gmail.com>
Subject Row or Supercolumn with approximately n columns
Date Sat, 24 Dec 2011 19:48:53 GMT
Hello Everybody,

Happy Christmas.

I know that this topic has come up quiet a few times on Dev and User lists
but did not culminate into a solution.

http://www.mail-archive.com/user@cassandra.apache.org/msg15367.html

The above discussion on User list talks about AbstractCompactionStrategy
but I could not find any relevant documentation as its a fairly new feature
in Cassandra.

Let me state this necessity and use-case again.

I need a ColumnFamily (CF) wide or SuperColumn (SC) wide option to
approximately limit the number of columns to "n". "n" can vary a lot and
the intention is to throw away stale data and not to maintain any hard
limit on the CF or SC. Its very useful for storing time-series data where
stale data is not necessary. The goal is to achieve this with minimum
overhead and since compaction happens all the time it would be clever to
implement it as part of compaction.

Thanks in advance.

Praveen