From Dop Sun <su...@dopsun.com>
Subject Re: How is Cassandra being used?
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2011 00:01:53 GMT
I am not dev of cassandra, sub this list because i'm dev for app using it.

To me, this (phone home) opens a door, and it may designed to be used only for carefully selected
anonymous data:
1) but software has at least one bug (side effect), what happen it sends something more accidentally?
Also, even today data we believe safe, but tomorrow it may turn out to be classified as sensitive,
and you can not take back data which already out of door.
2) risk for future versions, this forces all upgrades to include review of this anonymous
data (if door opened, it is too easy to add a little bit next time, and next...), imagin every
release, to invite compliance team to sign off... it may slow the adoption of new versions.
And this does no good for heathy of Cassandra community/ user group.

As a user may not be right to vote here, but if I vote:
-1 for introducing this feature at all

But if it's eventually included:
+1 for separate code/ jar

On 18 Nov, 2011, at 3:27 AM, Radim Kolar <hsn@sendmail.cz> wrote:

> Dne 16.11.2011 23:58, Bill napsal(a):
>> We'll turn this off, and would possibly patch it out of the code. That's not to say
it wouldn't be useful to others.
> we patch out of code spyware in ehcache and quartz too. This is only way to be sure that
it will not be enabled by configuration mistake.

> We had similar stuff in our software (just version check) and had to remove it after
14 days of customer complains. As correctly stated in comments - you will get results from
self selecting group and this group will not include most important deployments running cassandra
in production.

> There is zero benefit for company allowing cassandra to spy how many nodes, data, rows
and CF they have and its bad idea to implement spyware into application used for working with
sensitive data.