From Eric Evans <eev...@acunu.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: Moving CQL drivers
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2011 09:00:19 GMT
On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 6:34 PM, Vivek Mishra <vivek.mishra@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sounds good moving to github.

It's Google Code/Apache Extras that we've been discussing actually
(http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/hosting).

> 1 quick question, what about JIRAs already raised w.r.t drivers? Not sure but is it possible
to integrate these new projects with current JIRA flow?

I expect that they'll be moved to their respective bug trackers.  I'm
not sure you'd want to integrate that with the Jira workflow since
that is something else that is pretty project-centric.

> Planning to make these new projects based on maven build process?(As that might be helpful
in case of any quick release required for any sub module).

Though it pains me personally to say so, this is probably one
advantage to decoupling the drivers from Cassandra. If the
contributors to that particular project are less biased against Maven
then say, me, then it would be more likely to happen.

There must be something similar to Godwin's Law that states that as a
technical discussion grows longer, the probability that someone will
advocate Maven approaches one. :)

> Any subsequent Cassandra release will be independent on driver release/s or vice versa?

This was always the case, so yes.

> What about if creating a single github project like CQLDrivers and creating jdbc and
dbapi2 as sub projects of it?

> As a developer it can help in case somebody needs to check in some stuff in both of these.

Consensus seemed to be that Apache Extras (Google Code) would be
better from a branding perspective, and I don't think you can
structure projects like that there.

That said, I'm sure there will be folks that contribute to more than
one, but I'm guessing that as the number of drivers and overall
contributors increase, those people will be the exception rather than
the rule (i.e. I'm not sure it makes sense to optimize for them).

--
Eric Evans
Acunu | http://www.acunu.com | @acunu