incubator-cassandra-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: Moving CQL drivers
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2011 07:22:43 GMT
On 6 September 2011 18:34, Vivek Mishra <vivek.mishra@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sounds good moving to github.
> 1 quick question, what about JIRAs already raised w.r.t drivers? Not sure but is it possible
to integrate these new projects with current JIRA flow?
>
> Planning to make these new projects based on maven build process?(As that might be helpful
in case of any quick release required for any sub module).

Ha!

I would be genuinely surprised if that were to happen.

I think there is a greater chance of seeing C* itself being built with
maven than the drivers...

-Stephen

P.S.
I will wait to be asked for my opinion on how this could be addresses
using Maven as a build tool. The stated preference of the C*
developers is to use ANT. I am happy that Maven ANT Tasks is being
used over IVY, and happy that the artifacts are being pushed to
central, after that it doesn't matter what the build tool used is, as
long as the published poms are good (and last time I fine tuned them
they were) and as long as stuff gets into central, I am fine.

>
> Any subsequent Cassandra release will be independent on driver release/s or vice versa?
>
> What about if creating a single github project like CQLDrivers and creating jdbc and
dbapi2 as sub projects of it?
>
>
> As a developer it can help in case somebody needs to check in some stuff in both of these.
>
>
> -Vivek
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: Eric Evans <eevans@acunu.com>
> To: dev@cassandra.apache.org
> Sent: Tuesday, September 6, 2011 10:50 PM
> Subject: Proposal: Moving CQL drivers
>
> So following on from the previous discussion[1] about moving the CQL
> drivers out of tree, my interpretation of that discussion is that we
> have consensus that this should be done, and that they should go in
> Google Code and Apache Extras.  Further, it seems a foregone
> conclusion that Git be used, and so I also assume that's a safe
> assumption, at least for the two existing drivers (Python and Java).
>
> One of the obstacles was the tight coupling of components that the
> JDBC driver depends on, which should now be solved in trunk
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-2936).  Other than
> that the only items remaining relate to updating the tests so that
> they can connect to an already running instance, instead of the
> setup/teardown of nodes that is done now.
>
> Here is what I propose to do (one driver at a time):
>
> 1. Setup new Git-based projects on Apache Extras (cassandra-jdbc and
> cassandra-dbapi2)
> 2. Import the most current code and fix-up the tests as needed
> 3. Submit issues w/ patches for the removal of the corresponding
> driver from Cassandra
>
> I would like to have this in place for 1.0, and believe it should be
> OK despite the fact that we are freezing on September 8 (we're still
> freezing on 9/8 I assume?).  Since the plan was to delete the drivers
> directory after branching anyway, this shouldn't be disruptive to the
> release (even if drivers/ weren't deleted, the only functional change
> would be to remove JDBC build and test targets from build.xml).
>
> Thoughts?
>
>
> [1]: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.cassandra.devel/4075
>
> --
> Eric Evans
> Acunu | http://www.acunu.com | @acunu

Mime
View raw message