From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Reoganizing drivers
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2011 23:47:57 GMT
On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 8:29 PM, Rick Shaw <wfshaw@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 7, 2011, at 10:53 AM, Eric Evans wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2011-07-06 at 13:33 -0500, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
>>> - the git mirror won't pick up anything under drivers/
>>
>> Has there been any effort made to have INFRA add it?

Aaron asked, they said they only do standard svn trunk + branches + tags.

>> What do you mean by "but not have multiple versions for 0.8 branch"?

I mean it would live in trunk but only in trunk -- there would be no
branches/0.8/drivers or branches/1.0/drivers.

> Can't we keep the /drivers code in the trunk and just have separate Ant tasks for building
the driver parts independent of the tasks for for the server?

Right, this feels ideal to me.  Otherwise the "right" way to handle it
is to download a Cassandra stuff-the-driver-needs jar from the maven
repo.  I'd rather just have {cassandra} and {driver} build targets
personally, from the same tree, rather than introducing this
intermediate dependency.

> Another thought would be to keep it in the separate tree as it is now, and dumb down
the driver build to just build the JAR artifacts (binary, source, and javadoc). and do all
testing and integration work in the server-side trunk by using just the Driver jar as a dependency
for the tests in the server tree?

Then you have the reverse problem, that running the test suite
requires this other checkout to be around somewhere.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra