From Brandon Williams <dri...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: moin wiki: ACLs give us no more textchas and re-enable images
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2011 21:42:05 GMT
On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 3:45 PM, Jeremy Hanna
<jeremy.hanna1234@gmail.com> wrote:
> I asked in #asfinfra whether images could be added now that there are pretty obscure
questions for the wiki textcha questions.  Their response: no.  It would require another
level of security.

Then I posit that the measures currently in place are absolutely
worthless, and serve only to annoy the real users.  They should just
turn off the textchas if they aren't any good.

> So they suggested ACLs as described in http://wiki.apache.org/general/OurWikiFarm
>
> Basically the trade-off is, if we add ACLs such that we can easily add new contributors
really easily, we can ditch the textchas and re-enable images on the cassandra wiki.

> Is that people are willing to trade-off?  Details on how that is managed is in the link
above.

> I realize that this is philosophically contrary to what a wiki really is - editable by
anyone.  However they're concerned with spam and have to do something to avoid it.

I'm -1 on ACLs, requiring an account will only raise the bar for
participation which is not something I want to do.

-Brandon