From Joseph Stein <crypt...@gmail.com>
Subject CounterColumn as a double
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2011 23:13:08 GMT
So has anyone considered using the CounterColumn for summing?

I wanted to-do this over the weekend until I realized it was only a long :(
so using it for things like duration (as an example for me this would have
been great to keep track of aggregate durations of ad impressions) are not
possible (or total costs when processing business workflows, etc,etc).

I thought this might be a little more the speed of a first contribution too
:) and also helps out with more functionality since a lot of real time
analytics will need double.

Let me know, I think it is a good feature.

Implementing it not sure we would want to break the thrift interface I would
suggest that I would create another interface for the double value?

Under the hood of the thrift interface I was thinking of creating a
CounterValue class and then setting the lValue or the dValue depending on
which thrift function was called. I can update the thrift, add a sister
function and re-work the entire code path of long CounterColumn.value into
CounterValue CounterColumn.value.

/*
Joe Stein
http://www.linkedin.com/in/charmalloc