From "David G. Boney" <>
Subject Re: New feature / educational project
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2011 21:57:47 GMT
Hi All,

I am also interested a stored procedure feature. I spoke with Matthew Dennis at DataStax about
a month ago about some of the issues involved with implementing a stored procedure feature.
If anyone is in the Austin area and wants to get together for a cup of coffee to discuss this
feature, drop me a line.
David G. Boney

On Feb 8, 2011, at 3:47 PM, Miguel Verde wrote:

> See whatever preceded and
> the current for
> potentially similar ideas, as well as
> and
> for related issues.
> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 2:56 PM, Morten Wegelbye Nissen <> wrote:
>> Hello mighty developers of Cassandra,
>> I have been thinking of creating a feature like stored procedures for
>> Cassandra.
>> Concept is actually pretty simple add one of the javascript compilers. (
>> Mozilla Rhino or one alike ). Save js source in a CF in the system keyspace.
>> Add feature to thrift to invoke the code. Return just like get_slice.
>> Needless to say that the execution environment needs access to the
>> keyspaces and needs to be sandboxed. (ie. no access to filesystem etc. )
>> On the cli it would be something like; > invoke myProc param1, param2,
>> param3
>> The alternative where the expansions, like the existing once, is done by
>> implementing interfaces. Would require a rather complex distribution  of
>> jars.
>> Now I might have the option to get this done as a educational project,
>> where I after the project would like to release the code to freedom.
>> Would a feature like that ever make it to the core of Cassandra?
>> ./Morten

View raw message