From Morten Wegelbye Nissen <...@monit.dk>
Subject New feature / educational project
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2011 20:56:04 GMT
Hello mighty developers of Cassandra,

I have been thinking of creating a feature like stored procedures for
Cassandra.
Concept is actually pretty simple add one of the javascript compilers. (
Mozilla Rhino or one alike ). Save js source in a CF in the system
keyspace. Add feature to thrift to invoke the code. Return just like
get_slice.
Needless to say that the execution environment needs access to the
keyspaces and needs to be sandboxed. (ie. no access to filesystem etc. )

On the cli it would be something like; > invoke myProc param1, param2,
param3

The alternative where the expansions, like the existing once, is done by
implementing interfaces. Would require a rather complex distribution  of
jars.

Now I might have the option to get this done as a educational project,
where I after the project would like to release the code to freedom.

Would a feature like that ever make it to the core of Cassandra?

./Morten