From Germán Kondolf <german.kond...@gmail.com>
Subject Parallel Compaction
Date Fri, 17 Dec 2010 00:04:16 GMT
Hi everybody,

I've just finished the first implementation of a Parallel Compaction
Patch for the trunk version, tomorrow I'll test it with high volumen
of data to see if it works as I expected, but before I wan't to
validate with you the approach.

I know it's kinda naif, but, maybe it works as starting point for a
future production implementation or at least allow to make
configurable the compaction strategy.
First of all, I don't know in depth the C* code, so maybe I took a few
shortcuts and that's why I need a second look from an expert...

I've modified the doCompaction method of CompactionManager, added a
few static classes (I'm working to remove them, so V2 is coming), and
simply splitted the sstables to compact in a balanced order and fire
each group compaction in parallel.

The revision I've based the patch is: 1050234
The files are attached, the patch and the CompactionManager.java

Thanks in advance, I'll appreciate the feedback.

--
//GK
german.kondolf@gmail.com