From Paul Brown <paulrbr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Reducing confusion around client libraries
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2010 20:25:33 GMT

On Dec 3, 2010, at 12:13 PM, Eric Evans wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 13:46 -0600, Tyler Hobbs wrote:
>> Personally, I like the Mongo drivers page:
>> http://www.mongodb.org/display/DOCS/Drivers
>>
>> I like the clear distinction between preferred and alternative clients
>> without a lot of clutter about release dates and supported versions.
>> How do we make that distinction, though?  A "supported by Riptano"
>> section is one option, but that doesn't even encompass all of the
>> preferred clients.
> This sounds like you're suggesting that we place an "official according
> to Riptano" section on the project wiki.  That sounds... worse.

The PMC can sort it out, but I don't think it's within the purview/charter of the project
to bless third-party libraries.  For libraries/content that are shipped with officially Apache
artifacts, there are clear and specific standards in terms of licenses, intellectual property,
etc., and endorsing (versus simply listing) third-party components on a project site is probably
inappropriate.  (IMHO.)  What happens on a third party's site is another matter.

-- Paul