From bbo...@gmail.com
Subject MessagePack
Date Tue, 16 Nov 2010 19:10:42 GMT

a friend made me aware of MessagePack today:

   http://msgpack.org/

do any of you have any experience with this?  one interesting thing
about it is that the IDL compiler was written i Ruby -- which may make
it easy to run on JRuby and create a Maven plugin for compiling IDLs.

the project appears to be relatively young so I guess it remains to be
seen where it'll end up in the gallery of serialization and RPC
mechanisms. if any of you have any experience with it as a replacement
for Thrift I'd be interesting in hearing your thoughts.

(the Thrift compiler is a bit of a pain in the butt in a cross platform
environment.  in particular when one of those platforms is Windows)

-Bjørn