From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: questions about SSTableExport/Import
Date Wed, 17 Nov 2010 12:58:43 GMT
On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 5:19 AM, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
> I was trying to help this guy http://www.mail-archive.com/user@cassandra.apache.org/msg07297.html
who seemed to have troubles loading a json file. And I started taking a look at SSTableExport
and SSTableImport.

> SSTableExport does not encode any information about the Column sub type (ExpiringColumn
or DeletedColumn). It records isMarkedForDelete(), the timestamp and the localDeletionTime
as the col value if its a DeletedColumn. SSTableImport then calls either cf.addColumn() or
cf.addTombstone() based on the deleted flag.

> First question is is the code in SSTableImport.addToStandardCF() correct to call cf.addColumn()
if when the column was serialised it was isMarkedForDelete() ?

That does look backwards.

> Next is it OK to lose the fact that a column is an ExpiringColumn (and its ttl) when
it's exported to json?

It's okay in the sense that we make no effort to support TTL in json
export/import.  You're welcome to add that, but I don't consider it
being missing a bug.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra