From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NoSQL, YesCQL?
Date Fri, 29 Oct 2010 17:53:49 GMT
2010/10/29 Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>:
> I think the sane, reasonable, simple path is to make the query language
> as similar to SQL as possible (which EricQL seems to aim for).  Just
> making the queries pure text would be terrific, in any case.  Then a
> JDBC driver or a Perl DBD driver (and their parallels in Ruby, Python,
> etc.) would be so much easier to write and Cassandra clients wouldn't
> have to be so damn complicated.

I think this is the biggest win for a "dialect of SQL" support; ORM
implementors are used to having to special case some things on a
per-db basis (e.g. TOP vs LIMIT; CONNECT BY vs WITH RECURSIVE, etc)
but if the basic SELECT and UPDATE work then we are 90% of the way
there.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra