From Peter Schuller <peter.schul...@infidyne.com>
Subject Re: Minimizing the impact of compaction on latency and throughput
Date Fri, 09 Jul 2010 06:52:32 GMT
> It might be worth experimenting with posix_fadvise.  I don't think
> implementing our own i/o scheduler or rate-limiter would be as good a
> use of time (it sounds like you're on that page too).

Ok. And yes I mostly agree, although I can imagine circumstances where
a pretty simple rate limiter might help significantly - albeit be
something that has to be tweaked very specifically for the
situation/hardware rather than being auto-tuned.

If I have the time I may look into posix_fadvise() to begin with (but
I'm not promising anything).

Thanks for the input!

--
/ Peter Schuller