From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Minimizing the impact of compaction on latency and throughput
Date Tue, 13 Jul 2010 13:20:37 GMT
On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 4:19 AM, Thomas Downing
<tdowning@proteus-technologies.com> wrote:
> On a related note:  I am running some feasibility tests looking for
> high ingest rate capabilities.  While testing Cassandra the problem
> I've encountered is that it runs out of file handles during compaction.

This usually just means "increase the allowed fh via ulimit/etc."

Increasing the memtable thresholds so that you create less sstables,
but larger ones, is also a good idea.  The defaults are small so
Cassandra can work on a 1GB heap which is much smaller than most
production ones.  Reasonable rule of thumb: if you have a heap of N
GB, increase both the throughput and count thresholds by N times.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra