incubator-cassandra-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Almost time for 0.7 beta?
Date Sun, 25 Jul 2010 02:49:10 GMT
At the time of our last update [1], I estimated it would be 4 to 6
weeks until a 0.7 beta.  That was over 8 weeks ago.  Although we've
never adhered to a strict release schedule, I'm feeling more and more
like we need to stop delaying getting what is already done into
peoples' hands.

Wide row support was the main "blocker" in my mind for 0.7, and that
was complete a month ago. [2]  Basic secondary index support will be
also be done in the next few days (see subtasks to [3]).  I propose
rolling a beta release next Friday and a release candidate two weeks
after that; anything not ready at that point can wait until 0.7.1 or
0.8.

The bad news is, vector clocks [4] and the Avro client api [5] will
probably not be ready for the beta but may be ready for the release
candidate.  I would be okay putting those directly into the RC since
they are completely optional and will not affect users who want to
ignore them.  (That is, more than they already have, with the Clock
struct in the Thrift API.)  But I don't want to slip the schedule any
more to wait for them.

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@cassandra.apache.org/msg00404.html
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-16
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-749
[4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-580
[5] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-926

-- 
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra
co-founder of Riptano, the source for professional Cassandra support
http://riptano.com

Mime
View raw message