From Mike Malone <m...@simplegeo.com>
Subject Re: Atomic Compare and Swap
Date Wed, 23 Jun 2010 16:03:57 GMT
On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 4:51 AM, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com>wrote:

> I've been playing with something like CAS, it's not the same but it may be
> of interest.
>
> I write some data into Cassandra with quorum or better consistency, that
> allows me to assert what it should look like when read back. If the
> assertion holds I can then go ahead.

This may work for your use cases, but fwiw, I would not consider this a
"safe" alternative to CAS. CAS says "I have version 1 of the data, and want
to update it, but only if version 1 is still the latest version."

During failure conditions I don't think there's _any_ way to implement CAS
without making Cassandra potentially fail during writes since you'll have to
read before a write operation.

Mike