From Clint Byrum <cl...@ubuntu.com>
Subject Packaging Cassandra for Ubuntu
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2010 14:55:09 GMT
Greetings,

I've discussed this on the IRC channel briefly before (handle: SpamapS) and am interested
in hearing what the Cassandra developer community as a whole has to say about our efforts
to package Cassandra for Ubuntu.

Some of you may know that it is against policy in both Debian and Ubuntu  to package something
with embedded library binaries [1]. Cassandra's current debian packages ship the lib/*.jar
files, and so cannot be included in the official archives.

Some have expressed concern that we might end up using different versions of the libraries
than are shipped with a given release of Cassandra. Thats entirely possible, as we may have
other java applications that use these libraries already.

So I am appealing to you, the Cassandra development community, to weigh in with your recommendations
on making Cassandra and its dependencies available in Ubuntu.

Specifically I'd like to address:

* What is the perceived and real impact of Library versions diverging from Cassandra's shipped
libraries over time.
* We will most likely conflict with the Cassandra published debian packages. Is this acceptable?
Suggested solutions?

Thank you!

Clint Byrum
Ubuntu Server Team