From Jeremy Hanna <jeremy.hanna1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop package exposed through thrift
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2010 21:53:03 GMT
I just didn't know if there were any way to make it easier for the non-java crowd to take advantage
of it.  I'll give it some more thought.

On Jun 8, 2010, at 4:05 PM, Jonathan Ellis wrote:

> exposing it through thrift would mean the path would be
>
> client
> to cassandra [processing thrift command]
> to hadoop [giving it a job]
> to cassandra [fetching the data]
> to hadoop [m/r]
> to cassandra [handing result back]
> to client
>
> it just doesn't seem like a good design to me.
>
> additionally, thrift is meant more for "stuff your app is doing
> constantly" while hadoop handles analytics queries.  this separation
> of duties makes a lot of sense to me.
>
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 1:45 PM, Jeremy Hanna <jeremy.hanna1234@gmail.com> wrote:
>> When I gave a presentation on cassandra+hadoop, some ruby folks were wondering about
the possibility of using the MapReduce functionality in a language other than Java.

>> I was just wondering if any thought was given to exposing the org.apache.cassandra.hadoop
functionality through thrift.  That way the MapReduce code could be used by several languages
and secondarily by client authors.

>> I'm just trying to see if there is any reason why it wasn't exposed through thrift
or if more needs to be done before it could be exposed to languages other than Java.