From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop package exposed through thrift
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2010 11:22:35 GMT
I'm not up to speed with Hadoop in Cassandra, but regular Hadoop provides a IO stream interface
so it can be used with non Java languages.

http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/r0.15.2/streaming.html

That may be of help.
Aaron

On 9 Jun 2010, at 09:53, Jeremy Hanna wrote:

> I just didn't know if there were any way to make it easier for the non-java crowd to
take advantage of it.  I'll give it some more thought.

> On Jun 8, 2010, at 4:05 PM, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
>
>> exposing it through thrift would mean the path would be
>>
>> client
>> to cassandra [processing thrift command]
>> to hadoop [giving it a job]
>> to cassandra [fetching the data]
>> to hadoop [m/r]
>> to cassandra [handing result back]
>> to client
>>
>> it just doesn't seem like a good design to me.
>>
>> additionally, thrift is meant more for "stuff your app is doing
>> constantly" while hadoop handles analytics queries.  this separation
>> of duties makes a lot of sense to me.
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 1:45 PM, Jeremy Hanna <jeremy.hanna1234@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> When I gave a presentation on cassandra+hadoop, some ruby folks were wondering
about the possibility of using the MapReduce functionality in a language other than Java.

>>> I was just wondering if any thought was given to exposing the org.apache.cassandra.hadoop
functionality through thrift.  That way the MapReduce code could be used by several languages
and secondarily by client authors.

>>> I'm just trying to see if there is any reason why it wasn't exposed through thrift
or if more needs to be done before it could be exposed to languages other than Java.