From Clint Byrum <cl...@ubuntu.com>
Subject Re: Packaging Cassandra for Ubuntu
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2010 22:55:28 GMT

On Jun 3, 2010, at 1:53 PM, paul cannon wrote:

> Probably not in cases where people want to use new releases; there is
> a non-negligible time delay in getting packages into released or
> "testing" suites of Ubuntu and Debian, and sometimes even into Debian
> unstable.
>
> With cassandra being a relatively fast-moving target, it is probably
> still worthwhile to provide packages straight from an ASF repository.
>
> Those same packages could be the ones submitted for inclusion in
> Debian/Ubuntu, though.

Ubuntu does have a 6 month release cycle, so while I'm sure cassandra revs quite a bit every
6 months, users who are maybe a little more conservative will be perfectly fine with waiting
6 months to 1 year to upgrade. And for those users that want something better, There's always
a PPA [1]. They're becoming popular with upstreams that want to make sure the latest version
is available to their users. As one example, Chromium maintains one [2]. In fact, we have
a ppa for nightly builds of many software projects to make it easier for our users to report
bugs back to upstreams.

And as Eric states, backports.org would work as well as long as our debian maintainer keeps
things up to date.

--
1. https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas
2. https://launchpad.net/~chromium-daily/+archive/ppa