From Eric Evans <eev...@rackspace.com>
Subject Re: Packaging Cassandra for Debian
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2010 20:55:43 GMT
On Fri, 2010-06-04 at 13:04 -0700, Clint Byrum wrote:
> Right, this is precisely the reason we do make the effort to package
> things when it makes sense. Projects that are fully matured and have
> large user bases eventually stabilize. We may have jumped the gun a
> bit by trying to get Cassandra and others into the distribution this
> early.
>
> The question now, is whether it makes sense to package cassandra and
> its dependencies *today*.

So this is part of why I'm asking. There is quite a bit of work to be
done here, IMO, too much to realistically happen in time for Squeeze,
(and way too much for Maverick), but what will it look like for say
Squeeze+1 (let's say in 2 years)? It might be the perfect time to start
working on this, that's what I want to establish.

And, I don't think this has to be perfect either. On the Debian side of
things anyway there is volatile and backports, which might be Good
Enough if it's clearly communicated to stable users that upgrades are
only supported across sequential major versions. We have users now that
are running very old versions and know the score.

--
Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com