From Eric Evans <eev...@rackspace.com>
Subject Re: Packaging Cassandra for Ubuntu
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2010 20:11:54 GMT
On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 07:55 -0700, Clint Byrum wrote:
> I've discussed this on the IRC channel briefly before (handle:
> SpamapS) and am interested in hearing what the Cassandra developer
> community as a whole has to say about our efforts to package Cassandra
> for Ubuntu.

I'm ambivalent. ;) Seriously though, I am interested in getting it into
Debian, and obviously there is quite a bit of synergy here.

> Some of you may know that it is against policy in both Debian and
> Ubuntu  to package something with embedded library binaries [1].
> Cassandra's current debian packages ship the lib/*.jar files, and so
> cannot be included in the official archives.

Right, so the Cassandra source will need to be repacked and stripped of
the embedded jars, and these third-party dependencies packaged
separately.

> Some have expressed concern that we might end up using different
> versions of the libraries than are shipped with a given release of
> Cassandra. Thats entirely possible, as we may have other java
> applications that use these libraries already.

I don't know of any such issues off hand, and I'm pretty confident we
can work our way through them if any arise.

> So I am appealing to you, the Cassandra development community, to
> weigh in with your recommendations on making Cassandra and its
> dependencies available in Ubuntu.
>
> Specifically I'd like to address:
>
> * What is the perceived and real impact of Library versions diverging
> from Cassandra's shipped libraries over time.

I don't think that this is more or less likely to happen here than in
other projects. If anything, this will provide some much needed exposure
of our (Cassandra's) dependencies.

> * We will most likely conflict with the Cassandra published debian packages. Is this
acceptable? Suggested solutions?

Ultimately, I think packages in Ubuntu/Debian can replace the builds
currently hosted on ASF mirrors.

--
Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com