From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Performance regression tests
Date Wed, 12 May 2010 18:10:04 GMT
Hey Johan,

A Hudson plugin would be great. A short term solution, though, would
be to simply use the existing support for Hudson graphing from
properties files: http://wiki.hudson-ci.org/display/HUDSON/Plot+Plugin

At a previous job we used to use this plugin to plot web page response
times, and it served its purpose great.

-Todd

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 1:13 AM, Johan Oskarsson <johan@oskarsson.nu> wrote:
> I've started looking into how this issue. My current thinking are as follows.
>
> Add support for Cassandra in Whirr: http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/WhirrProposal
> This would allow us to start a short lived Cassandra cluster on one of the cloud services
(EC2/Rackspace etc) for testing.
> Real hardware would of course be better, but this is a good starting point.
>
> For running the actual tests I have been looking at YCSB: http://github.com/brianfrankcooper/YCSB
> I've added support for Cassandra trunk as of last week and am now off and on working
on adding an measurements export function so we can get the results as a JSON file. It's fairly
straight forward.

> The best way to expose these results as graphs etc and raise an error if they are unexpected
would be a plugin to Hudson. That way all our test results are in one place.
> Other projects such as HBase might be interested in contributing to a Hudson-YCSB plugin.
This would probably be best done as separate project on github for example.

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera