From "Stu Hood" <>
Subject Re: Bootstrap source code
Date Sun, 02 May 2010 17:50:39 GMT
Nodes declare that they will be joining the ring at a particular position, which makes them
a member of the 'pending ranges' set. Nodes with pending ranges are supposed to receive writes
for those ranges, despite not officially owning them yet.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Roger Schildmeijer" <>
Sent: Sunday, May 2, 2010 11:50am
Subject: Re: Bootstrap source code

s/hinted handoff/read repair

> (Moved to developers mailing list)
> Without delve to deep into to that part of the code my educated(?) guess is that this
will (eventually) be solved/repaired thanks to hinted handoff and anti entropy service.
> On 2 maj 2010, at 18.29em, Bill Hastings wrote:
>> Hi
>> I have looking at the bootstrap source and seem to understand it for the most part.
This is what I do not follow:
>> (1) New node joins and doesn't advertise its token.
>> (2) Requests nodes to send it data. The nodes that need to send it data first flush
memtables and then transfer SSTables.
>> Once the streaming is over the new node advertises its token and starts handling
reads and writes correct? But what happens to keys that are being written to the old nodes
after the memtables have been dumped. Looks like there is a window where keys would be going
to the old nodes and not making it to the new nodes. Am I missing something here.
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Bill

View raw message