From "David Timothy Strauss" <da...@fourkitchens.com>
Subject Re: python web framework suggestions (for Cassandra Web UI) needed
Date Tue, 13 Apr 2010 17:27:56 GMT
Please use something like Tornado. A Cassandra web GUI should not require a heavyweight framework
and hopefully nothing other than a Cassandra connection to run.

-----Original Message-----
From: Pablo Cuadrado <pablocuadrado@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 11:55:46
To: <dev@cassandra.apache.org>
Subject: python web framework suggestions (for Cassandra Web UI) needed

Hi!

I made a proposal about building a Cassandra Web UI. One of it's main
components, will be Python on the server side.

However, as Gary D. pointed out, it will be interesting to get your
opinions on which framework to use.

I suggested Django for being well-known and largely documented, but
any other would do.

As far as my experience goes on web development, this is what I -IMHO-
think of any web framework, despite the language:

- Really small footprint is a plus: "do we really need to include
that, and that, and that other thing?"
- Flexibility and freedom of code, another plus: "do I really need to
inherit that class to do that"
- Unneeded features tend to get in our way: like the "auto admin"
panels of Django. Or the "FormAlchemy" and "SQLAlchemy" features in
Pylons.
- Templating features should be truly flexible, and do fast template parsing.

Well, suggestions are needed! I would like to know your opinions on
Django, Pylons, web2py, TurboGears, etc.

Regards!