From Eric Evans <eev...@rackspace.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra 0.5.1 slow down after doing a lot of inserts
Date Sat, 17 Apr 2010 16:43:32 GMT
On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 23:33 +0800, Lu Ming wrote:
> Hi:
>    We have build a  storage system with 4 nodes in the cluster. We use the default configuration
file,
> every node have 2*E5504 CPU, 8G memory and 6*1T Sata disk.  The cluster stores about
600G data.

>    We found that Cassandra 0.5.1 ALWAYS slow down after a lot of inserts. When it happens,
CPU and Disk load
> are very low. We use "tpstats" nodetools and find that more than 300,000  row-mutations
is still pending and
> the write speed is no more than 100~200 row-mutations per second.
>   It also happens when  Cassandra starts and replays a large commitlog file. So we must
cost several hours to
> wait it finishs startup.
>
>   The Faq of Cassandra tells that it is caused by GC?  any other explaining?

I assume you're referring to
http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/FAQ#slows_down_after_lotso_inserts
(which does indeed sound like what you are seeing). Following the advice
there should work.

Also, unless you have a very good reason for doing otherwise, I'd
recommend that you use 0.6.0, the latest stable release, instead of
0.5.1.

--
Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com