From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra on top of B-Tree
Date Sun, 28 Mar 2010 23:48:42 GMT
It sounds like an interesting project but I don't think it would be a
good fit for GSoc because it's just too different to be a good
candidate to actually incorporate into Cassandra mainline.  (The
consistency and availability models are completely different, assuming
your system ends up looking something like the one in the Aguilera
paper.)

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Primal Wijesekera
<primalwijesekera@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am a master student in UBC CS dept. I along with one of my lab mates are trying to
implement the Cassandra on top of a B-Tree implementation rather than of DHT approach that
we have right now. We hope to do benchmarking the two approaches and really want to see which
one scales better.

> In the lab we already have a project (which is not yet completed) on developing a Distributed
B-Tree on top of a Sinfonia like system. We would be trying to integrate the Cassandra source
with the B-tree preserving the rest of the Cassandra logic.

> Since we are still in its very early stage of this experiment, thought of getting your
expert thoughts and comments on this and we were wondering whether this could be a potential
GSoc project as well.