From Ted Zlatanov <...@lifelogs.com>
Subject Thrift out of memory crashes
Date Fri, 26 Mar 2010 12:39:21 GMT
I know this has been discussed in tickets and here previously.  I just
wanted to comment on it because of the upcoming 0.6 release.

In my environment I patch Cassandra to prevent the OOM errors from
malformed incoming Thrift data, which as everyone knows let anyone crash
the servers hard with a netcat invocation.  For those who don't know the
story, see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-601

I think the OOM guard should be in the Cassandra releases, at least as
an option.  Just because Thrift doesn't give us airbags doesn't mean we
don't need brakes.

Ted