From Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: Binary release artifacts (or What a User Wants)
Date Fri, 19 Mar 2010 21:00:24 GMT
On 3/19/10 5:36 AM, Jesse McConnell wrote:

> yes, and my point is that if there is any question in your guys minds
> on if it is allowed or not that is an issue for apache legal (via
> jira) for a definitive answer

so.. if you have a question for them.. go ping them.. no need anyone
else to paraphrase it.. just go ahead and ask.

> I am not a lawyer, but I'll play one on a mailing list..

please don't.
it doesn't help anyone.
if you think you need a legal opinion then get one.

you (and your companies) circumstances are unique, and as such you
should hire your
own legal representation to analyze the situation and how it works in
your circumstances. (called a legal opinion I think)

don't assume that your circumstances meet the need of the general public
as every one is different.

we as a project do our best effort to make sure we have the right
attribution and licensing.
but we are not lawyers, and our interpretation of what a license means
might be different than yours.
even lawyers who have looked at these things aren't 100% in agreement to
what cross-linking and stuff like that means
as it hasn't gone through a legal case where a judge has made a ruling
which makes it harder to point to something and say this is the right stuff.

so .. let me repeat. if you think there is an issue, get your own lawyer
to read the licenses and give you their legal opinion
and follow that. that is what they are there for.

Ivy and maven downloading dependent jars seems to work well for most
projects. the legal thing about if they/can't they has been discussed to
death
a million times.. go google it. there is no right answer.