From Eric Evans <eev...@rackspace.com>
Subject Re: Login Failure
Date Wed, 10 Mar 2010 16:20:36 GMT
On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 16:31 +0100, Morten Wegelbye Nissen wrote:
> After the latest patch in the auth I saw the same. I needed to supply
> the --keyspace, --username and --password. (funny thing is that with
> the "allow all" authentication its still mandatory.

Gah, you're right.

> # cassandra-cli --host localhost --port 9160 --keyspace Keyspace1
> --username mickey --password mouse
> Starting Cassandra Client
> Connected to: "Morten's MEGA Cluster" on localhost/9160
> Welcome to cassandra CLI.
>
> Type 'help' or '?' for help. Type 'quit' or 'exit' to quit.
> cassandra>
>
> Works fine (user mickey is not defined anywhere).
>
> Question is, is this a bug or a feature? If bug, I can go for the
> patch, if feature the wiki should be updated.

Well, it's a bug introduced while introducing support for a half-baked
feature.

CASSANDRA-852 added support for the Thrift login() method which is
present and usable in 0.6, but optional, (though obviously it
implemented that in a way that made it non-optional).

For 0.7, login() will become mandatory, even if you've effectively
disabled authentication (it will be used to set a current working
keyspace, and the keyspace argument will be dropped from the other
methods).

So, it's buggy for 0.6, and trunk, and the direction trunk is going in,
but to different degrees and for different reasons :)

I've reopened CASSANDRA-852 and attached a patch for 0.6 that makes the
invocation of login() conditional on the all three of the new arguments
(keyspace, username, and password).

Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com