From gabriele renzi <rff....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Commit log changes in 0.7
Date Fri, 26 Feb 2010 19:40:03 GMT
On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 6:22 PM, Gary Dusbabek <gdusbabek@gmail.com> wrote:
> The commit log currently has a header section whose size is constant,
> but is a function of the total number of defined column families.
> This isn't going to work with CASSANDRA-44 where CFs can be added or
> removed on the fly.  I see two options:
>
> 1.  hard code the size of the header to accommodate a maximum number
> of CFs.  I don't like this approach because it imposes a hard limit.
> 2.  move the header into its own file.  I don't like this because it
> adds complexity.
>
> Any better other ideas?

not a better idea, but just trying to understand: is there a reason
the fixed size "hard limit" can't be expanded when a new commit log is
created ?
E.g. start with N column families and leave space for M of them, if
one is added, a new commitlog is started with a larger header, and the
logic for cleaning up non-active logs becomes xoring the short header
against the equivalent portion of the new header.

I think there is some additional complexity, such as the need for a
prologue stating size/offsets, or if/how to handle deletions, but it
doesn't seem much.

--
blog en: http://www.riffraff.info
blog it: http://riffraff.blogsome.com