From Ted Zlatanov <...@lifelogs.com>
Subject Re: build fails with "ant clean gen-thrift-java build"
Date Wed, 23 Dec 2009 14:00:23 GMT
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 23:15:16 -0600 Jonathan Ellis <jbellis@gmail.com> wrote:

JE> 2009/12/22 Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>:
>> But would you (as Gary IIRC mentioned earlier) prefer the old
>> constructors back instead to minimize changes to Cassandra?

JE> In a perfect world, Thrift wouldn't go breaking stuff that wasn't
JE> causing problems, or if they did they would admit it and roll things
JE> back.  It's already too late for the first, and I don't give the
JE> second good odds either.

Right, that's what I saw in the ticket discussion.  So we have to live
with it.

JE> But this is not something to burn a lot of cycles on.  If your heart
JE> is set on using thrift 0.2, then patch Cassandra so it works.
JE> Otherwise just build the new structures with the old thrift compiler,
JE> just use the version in the libthrift filename.

It's very tempting to just keep hacking against the old Thrift but it
doesn't feel right.  What's the long-term plan, is Cassandra sticking
with Thrift?  If yes then it's worth investing the time now since we
will have to do it eventually no matter what.

Ted