From Matthieu Riou <matthieu.r...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Graduation?
Date Tue, 03 Nov 2009 17:17:17 GMT
Take 10mn to read the following paragraph and the document after:

http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Graduating+from+the+Incubator

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html

Then you'll have my take :) What people have been looking at mostly in the
past is diversity and releases. In both cases you seem fine, you have good
diversity with individuals from multiple companies and as I pointed, 3
releases behind your belt. So from a project standpoint I don't see any
roadblocks.

To make it happen, as you will be graduating to a top level project, you'll
need to draft a board resolution which is what the incubator PMC is going to
vote on. Once accepted by the incubator it gets pushed to the board and in
the great majority of cases gets accepted (I'm not aware of any refusal once
a proposal passed the incubator vote).

Most of the board resolution is semi-legalese boilerplate needed by any
respectful corporation :) The two parts that need attention are picking a
chair for the TLP who will be responsible for representing the project in
front (figuratively) of the board and coming up with the project charter
that will scope the PMC. Coming up with a good charter isn't too easy as
it's mostly subjective wording. To get started, look at others' projects
charters, you'll find a few links there:

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#tlp-resolution

You'll have to find a few sentences that define and scope the project well
while surviving the test of time. Then be ready to make a couple of
iterations, the idea is to propose it early on the incubator general mailing
list to get early feedback.

How does that sound?

Matthieu