From Eric Evans <eev...@rackspace.com>
Subject Re: Graduation?
Date Sat, 07 Nov 2009 20:26:24 GMT
On Fri, 2009-11-06 at 11:21 +0000, ant elder wrote:

> Can someone explain how this RTC mode is actually working right now,
> what is the process for reviewing, voting, and applying the changes?

In a practice:

 1. Folks attach patches to Jira issues, (committers too).
 2. Someone (anyone really) gives it at least a once over and ...
   2a. +1s the change
   2b. provides feedback, (goto #1)
 3. A committer commits the patch

Typically, when a change is controversial, invasive, or just touches a
particularly tricky part of the code-base, then more people take notice
and look it over with a greater degree of scrutiny; most of the time
though it's just a quick sanity check, making sure it builds,
passes/includes tests, etc.

We've pretty much pulled the trigger (often within minutes), after the
very first +1 and then rolled it back and/or fixed it if someone points
out a problem after the fact.

I'm personally not a big fan of RTC in general, but if I'm honest, it
has been working pretty well in practice thus far; there are other
aspects of our work-flow that offend my sensibilities worse than
this. :)

--
Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com