From Walter Gillett <walter_gill...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: trouble running Cassandra nosetests
Date Thu, 15 Oct 2009 02:08:57 GMT
Thanks - also now I see this debugging tip is covered in the nose documentation. Will add some
notes to the wiki on troubleshooting when I get a chance.

Walter

--- On Wed, 10/14/09, Michael Greene <michael.greene@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Michael Greene <michael.greene@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: trouble running Cassandra nosetests
To: cassandra-dev@incubator.apache.org
Date: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 9:55 PM

Running nose with the following:
  nosetests --pdb-failures
should break into pdb, the debugger, on failure so that you can see
what's going on.

I usually see that error if there's a stray Cassandra instance running
(not the one from the system tests or its pid file, just another
instance)

Michael

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 8:47 PM, Walter Gillett
<walter_gillett@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm a Cassandra newbie working on getting my sandbox up to speed. Following the instructions
on HowToContribute, I've gotten far enough along to be able to run "ant test" without any
errors. But "nosetests" is failing, see details below. Looks like the test teardown routine
is unhappy because the pid it's trying to kill has already died. Before I get into a detailed
dive to figure out what's going wrong, thought I'd check with the community to see if I'm
missing something obvious. (Is it easy to run nosetests in the debugger and step through the
code?). Thanks,