From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release cassandra 0.4.0-rc1
Date Mon, 07 Sep 2009 12:20:41 GMT
On 03/09/2009, Eric Evans <eevans@rackspace.com> wrote:

>  The Cassandra community voted on and approved the release of Apache
>  Cassandra 0.4.0-rc1. We would now like to request the approval of the
>  Incubator PMC for this release.
>
>  Cassandra is a massively scalable, eventually consistent, distributed,
>  structured key-value store.
>
>  Podling vote thread:
>  http://www.mail-archive.com/cassandra-dev@incubator.apache.org/msg00856.html
>  0.4.0-rc1 artifacts: http://people.apache.org/~eevans
>  SVN tag:
>  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/cassandra/tags/cassandra-0.4.0-rc1
>  Project home: http://incubator.apache.org/cassandra/
>  Incubation status: http://incubator.apache.org/projects/cassandra.html
>
>  The vote will remain open for 72 hours (or longer if needed).
>
>  There was quite a bit of discussion surrounding the last IPMC vote, so
>  here is a list of some of the things that were brought up, and where we
>  are are on those issues:
>
>  * No zip archives
>
>  We are still not generating zip archives. Hopefully that won't be an
>  issue.
>
>  * Missing SVN properties
>
>  This was addressed in CASSANDRA-368 (i.e. the properties are now in
>  place).

Some more have crept in:

svn ps svn:eol-style CRLF bin/cassandra.bat
svn ps svn:mime-type application/octet-stream lib/libthrift-r808609.jar
svn ps svn:mime-type application/octet-stream lib/slf4j-api-1.5.8.jar
svn ps svn:mime-type application/octet-stream lib/slf4j-log4j12-1.5.8.jar
svn ps svn:eol-style native src/java/org/apache/cassandra/client/RingCache.java
svn ps svn:eol-style native
test/unit/org/apache/cassandra/client/TestRingCache.java
svn ps svn:eol-style native
test/unit/org/apache/cassandra/db/marshal/BytesTypeTest.java
svn ps svn:eol-style native
test/unit/org/apache/cassandra/dht/CollatingOrderPreservingPartitionerTest.java
svn ps svn:eol-style native
test/unit/org/apache/cassandra/dht/PartitionerTestCase.java

>  * Licenses in lib/licenses instead of LICENSE.txt
>
>  During the discussion, CASSANDRA-371 was created and a reference has
>  since been added to the bottom of LICENSE.txt that directs people to
>  lib/licenses for the third-party dependencies.

That's better than nothing, but there's no list of which jar files are
3rd parties and which are ASF files.

There are no details of where most of the 3rd party libraries have
been obtained.
This makes it impossible to check the licenses.

>  The reason for putting third-party licenses in lib/licenses was to ease
>  maintenance, which in turn should help guarantee that this information
>  is up-to-date and accurate. That still seems like a valid reason so if
>  possible, I'd like to wait for the resolution of LEGAL-31

Yes, it may take a bit longer to get the file correct the first time
round, but how often would it need to be changed afterwards?

>  * JUnit jar in binary archive
>
>  I completely lost track of this after the discussion, and didn't notice
>  it until after 0.4.0-rc1 was tagged and the artifacts created. I've
>  submitted CASSANDRA-417 so that it won't be forgotten again.
>
>  * Attributions in NOTICE.txt
>
>  During the discussion, I explained the rationale[1] behind our
>  NOTICE.txt, but I'm not sure that went anywhere. The example cited was
>  Antlr, but by my understanding of the BSD license, there is no
>  requirement that the attribution be in a top-level file let alone one
>  named NOTICE.txt.
>
>  Again, we're trying to keep things simple so that it is easier to
>  maintain and as a result, more accurate and up-to-date. But, if this is
>  a sore spot with IPMC voters, we'll put all attributions, required or
>  not in NOTICE.txt.
>
>  * NOTICE shouldn't have "Developers and Contributors are listed in..."

This should be fixed before relelase.