From Matthieu Riou <matthieu.r...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How is Cassandra going for graduation?
Date Tue, 11 Aug 2009 18:28:36 GMT
On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 8:50 AM, Eric Evans <eevans@rackspace.com> wrote:

> <snip>
> >           o License grant complete
> >           o CLAs on file.
> >           o Check of project name for trademark issues
>
> Not sure how to verify these.

Trademark seems okay. License grant has been filed by Facebook when the
incubation started so that's good.

> >           o The project is not highly dependent on any single
> > contributor (there are at least 3 legally independent committers and
> > there is no single company or entity that is vital to the success of
> > the project)
>
> According to the status page there are 8 committers, representing (I
> think ) 6 different organizations (or themselves). Some are more active
> than others though, so I'm not sure how you'd score this.

Good if you ask me. A 'who we are' page on your website listing the
committers and eventually linking to whatever they want to link to would be
cool I think. It's always nice to see when you come to a project and the
IPMC will probably be looking for something like this as well to assess
diversity.

Two folks were just recently added.

> >           o ASF style voting has been adopted and is standard practice
>
> We've struggled with when, where and how to use this, but I think we are
> basically OK here.

There are 2 times where voting is "a must". For releases and for new
committers nominations. For the rest, voting is more like a tool that can be
very useful for taking group decisions.

> >           o Engagement by the incubated community with the other ASF
> > communities, particularly infrastructure@ (this reflects my personal
> > bias that projects should pay an nfrastructure "tax").
>
> Not sure here. Could you explain this one?

It's a nice to have, I wouldn't overly worry about this. It's just good for
the project to know who to ask, even after graduation, if you have a
problem.

> >     * Alignment / Synergy
> >           o Use of other ASF subprojects
> >           o Develop synergistic relationship with other ASF
> > subprojects
>
> We use quite a bit of ASF software (several of the commons libraries for
> example), but the most prominent example is probably Thrift. There is
> some overlap between project participants, and countless Thrift issues
> have been filed by members of the Cassandra community (often accompanied
> by patches).

Yeah, this is a "nice to have" too. Your "contribution" to Thrift (or at
least the attempt to fix some of it) is a good sign.

Cheers,
Matthieu