From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fixing the data model names
Date Thu, 13 Aug 2009 02:02:41 GMT
If thrift were sane it would look something like

struct Column {
  byte[] name,
  optional list<Column> subcolumns,
  optional int64 timestamp,
  optional byte[] value
}

"you can either have the subcolumns, or the timestamp and value" seems
reasonable to me.

of course in the real world, thrift can't do recursive structures, so
we'd have to go with Column/SubColumn like SuperColumn/Column today.
So... maybe not really an improvement after all. :)

(Why am I not surprised to find out that protocol buffers does support
this?  Sigh.)