From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [vote] 0.4.0 beta 1
Date Wed, 12 Aug 2009 14:51:14 GMT
On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 8:41 AM, ant elder<antelder@apache.org> wrote:
> Its common to have nightly builds. Its common do beta's that have been
> voted on by a PMC. Those are quite different to a someone creating
> something called "0.4.0 beta 1" and advertising that to users as an
> unofficial release. Whats the problem following the ASF release
> procedures and letting the PMC vote on the artifacts before they're
> released? Even if nothing else it would help with graduation to show
> that happening.

In my mind this beta will be relevant for about a week, at which point
we'd have another beta or an RC with a lot of bug fixes.  If we go
from waiting hours for the committers to waiting 3 days for the PMC,
that's half its expected lifetime.  In other words I see this as
closer to a glorified nightly than An Official Release.

-Jonathan