From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [vote] 0.4.0 beta 1
Date Wed, 12 Aug 2009 13:21:09 GMT
On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 5:49 AM, ant elder<ant.elder@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 9:44 PM, Jonathan Ellis<jbellis@gmail.com> wrote:
> What do you mean by an "unofficial" release? A "release" needs follow
> the ASF release procedures and be voted on so needs svn tags, and
> distributions to review etc right?

I mean that I will put a tarball up in my personal space for people to
test but it will not go through the full mentor gauntlet nor will it
be recommended for more than temporary use.

There was a long discussion about this back in May in the "Cassandra
0.3 RC is out" thread:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-cassandra-dev/200905.mbox/browser

My impression was that the consensus from the mentors, including
Matthieu and Bertrand, was that it's both okay and common to do
nightly builds or betas like this, as long as it's not implied that
these are Official ASF Releases.

-Jonathan