From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How is Cassandra going for graduation?
Date Tue, 11 Aug 2009 15:04:25 GMT
On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 9:33 AM, ant elder<antelder@apache.org> wrote:
> The minimum requirements that a Podling SHALL meet prior to being
> graduated to the ASF are :

I'll X the ones we are in good shape on:

* Legal
         X All code ASL'ed
         X The code base must contain only ASL or ASL-compatible dependencies

(the last question mark was resolved here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-53)

         o License grant complete

I think this was done with the first code import?  Our other mentors
probably know.

         X CLAs on file.
         o Check of project name for trademark issues

Not sure about this one.  Who would we follow up with?

   * Meritocracy / Community
         X Demonstrate an active and diverse development community
         X The project is not highly dependent on any single
contributor (there are at least 3 legally independent committers and
there is no single company or entity that is vital to the success of
the project)

We have 3 active committers (from two different companies) and many
active contributors who are potential committers with a little more
experience in the code base.  We also have 3 inactive committers from
Facebook.

         X The above implies that new committers are admitted
according to ASF practices

All the non-FB committers were added post-incubation via nomination, vote, etc..

         X ASF style voting has been adopted and is standard practice
         X Demonstrate ability to tolerate and resolve conflict
within the community.
         X Release plans are developed and excuted in public by the community.

0.3.0 was successfully released and 0.4.0 is very close to (unofficial) beta.

         o Engagement by the incubated community with the other ASF
communities, particularly infrastructure@ (this reflects my personal
bias that projects should pay an nfrastructure "tax").

Not sure what we're supposed to do to satisfy this author's bias.

   * Alignment / Synergy
   *
         o Use of other ASF subprojects
         o Develop synergistic relationship with other ASF subprojects

Honestly I'm not sure what this is doing as a requirement for
graduation.  If synergies exist, great.  Otherwise artificially
requiring some to be made up for graduation is silly.

But, we do use Apache Commons, Thrift, and probably soon Hadoop core.

   * Infrastructure
         X SVN module has been created
         X Mailing list(s) have been created
         X Mailing lists are being archived
         X Issue tracker has been created
         X Project website has been created
         X Project ready to comply with ASF mirroring guidelines
         X Project is integrated with GUMP if appropriate

Johan set us up on Hudson.

         X Releases are PGP signed by a member of the community
         X Developers tied into ASF PGP web of trust

So, to sum up, in my mind the only real issue here is the trademark
search, and after an 0.4.0 release we should be in good shape for
graduation.

-Jonathan