From Adam Rosien <a...@rosien.net>
Subject Re: Cassandra data model misconceptions, and their sources
Date Tue, 18 Aug 2009 19:38:14 GMT
While I interpret Evan as arguing against using RDB terms like row and
column, I would favor keeping those terms. Cassandra's data model is
typically *initially* described as a table--without relational
aspects!--and then the distinction of its storage strategy
(column-oriented, mostly, sort of, with qualifiers) is explained. This
has helped me understand the similarities and differences quite well,
i.e., a very simplistic view of Cassandra is (RDB without relational,
column-oriented-ish, extensible column ids, ...). Understanding the
data layout makes it natural to understand the scaling and trade-offs.

As a philosophical aside, the "no-sql" meme emphasizing the exposure
of how data is actually stored is a great leap forward. We all need to
know all these details and what trade-offs are being made.

.. Adam