From ant elder <antel...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] 0.4.0 beta 1
Date Thu, 13 Aug 2009 06:20:15 GMT
On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Jonathan Ellis<jbellis@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 8:41 AM, ant elder<antelder@apache.org> wrote:
>> Its common to have nightly builds. Its common do beta's that have been
>> voted on by a PMC. Those are quite different to a someone creating
>> something called "0.4.0 beta 1" and advertising that to users as an
>> unofficial release. Whats the problem following the ASF release
>> procedures and letting the PMC vote on the artifacts before they're
>> released? Even if nothing else it would help with graduation to show
>> that happening.
>
> In my mind this beta will be relevant for about a week, at which point
> we'd have another beta or an RC with a lot of bug fixes.  If we go
> from waiting hours for the committers to waiting 3 days for the PMC,
> that's half its expected lifetime.  In other words I see this as
> closer to a glorified nightly than An Official Release.
>
> -Jonathan

Ok I wonder if this is just misunderstandings based on naming and
conventions. Could what you're calling here as an "unofficial beta
release" be the same as what other ASF projects might name a release
candidate? Is the 0.4.0 beta 1 just for other devs to review? If so
you probably don't need a vote. Also, whats the difference between
this and the latest Hudson nightly build?

   ...ant