From ant elder <antel...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] 0.4.0 beta 1
Date Wed, 12 Aug 2009 13:41:39 GMT
On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Jonathan Ellis<jbellis@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 5:49 AM, ant elder<ant.elder@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 9:44 PM, Jonathan Ellis<jbellis@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What do you mean by an "unofficial" release? A "release" needs follow
>> the ASF release procedures and be voted on so needs svn tags, and
>> distributions to review etc right?
>
> I mean that I will put a tarball up in my personal space for people to
> test but it will not go through the full mentor gauntlet nor will it
> be recommended for more than temporary use.
>
> There was a long discussion about this back in May in the "Cassandra
> 0.3 RC is out" thread:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-cassandra-dev/200905.mbox/browser
>
> My impression was that the consensus from the mentors, including
> Matthieu and Bertrand, was that it's both okay and common to do
> nightly builds or betas like this, as long as it's not implied that
> these are Official ASF Releases.
>
> -Jonathan

Its common to have nightly builds. Its common do beta's that have been
voted on by a PMC. Those are quite different to a someone creating
something called "0.4.0 beta 1" and advertising that to users as an
unofficial release. Whats the problem following the ASF release
procedures and letting the PMC vote on the artifacts before they're
released? Even if nothing else it would help with graduation to show
that happening.

   ...ant