From ant elder <antel...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How is Cassandra going for graduation?
Date Tue, 11 Aug 2009 14:33:08 GMT
On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Eric Evans<eevans@rackspace.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-08-11 at 08:40 +0100, ant elder wrote:
>> Its monthly report time in the Incubator and while Cassandra doesn't
>> need to report this month would it be worth thinking about what needs
>> to be done for graduation? Where do you guys think you are? What still
>> needs to be done? Do you need any help identifying what needs to be
>> done?
>
> Personally, I find I'm always a little gray when it comes to ASF
> expectations, (I believe others suffer from this as well). For example,
> is http://incubator.apache.org/projects/cassandra.html the canonical
> checklist? Is that up-to-date and accurate?
>
> So yes, I'd welcome help identifying what's left to be done.
>
> Thanks ant!
>
> --
> Eric Evans
> eevans@rackspace.com

As i start there's the Incubator policy doc which has some minimum
graduation requirements which I'll cutNpaste here:

The minimum requirements that a Podling SHALL meet prior to being
graduated to the ASF are :

    * Legal
    *
          o All code ASL'ed
          o The code base must contain only ASL or ASL-compatible dependencies
          o License grant complete
          o CLAs on file.
          o Check of project name for trademark issues

    * Meritocracy / Community
    *
          o Demonstrate an active and diverse development community
          o The project is not highly dependent on any single
contributor (there are at least 3 legally independent committers and
there is no single company or entity that is vital to the success of
the project)
          o The above implies that new committers are admitted
according to ASF practices
          o ASF style voting has been adopted and is standard practice
          o Demonstrate ability to tolerate and resolve conflict
within the community.
          o Release plans are developed and excuted in public by the community.
                + (requirement on minimum number of such releases?)
                + Note: incubator projects are not permitted to issue
an official Release. Test snapshots (however good the quality) and
Release plans are OK.
          o Engagement by the incubated community with the other ASF
communities, particularly infrastructure@ (this reflects my personal
bias that projects should pay an nfrastructure "tax").
          o Incubator PMC has voted for graduation
          o Destination PMC, or ASF Board for a TLP, has voted for
final acceptance

    * Alignment / Synergy
    *
          o Use of other ASF subprojects
          o Develop synergistic relationship with other ASF subprojects

    * Infrastructure
    *
          o SVN module has been created
          o Mailing list(s) have been created
          o Mailing lists are being archived
          o Issue tracker has been created
          o Project website has been created
          o Project ready to comply with ASF mirroring guidelines
          o Project is integrated with GUMP if appropriate
          o Releases are PGP signed by a member of the community
          o Developers tied into ASF PGP web of trust

See    http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Minimum+Graduation+Requirements

Thats not a completely accurate picture of all the current views of
the active Incubator PMC but its a good place to start, how does
Cassandra look wrt that list?

   ...ant