From Eric Evans <eev...@rackspace.com>
Subject Re: Data model names, reloaded
Date Mon, 24 Aug 2009 16:20:22 GMT
On Mon, 2009-08-24 at 08:50 -0700, Ryan King wrote:
> We have never indicated that we expected others to do the work. I
> actually have some patches for our first renaming suggestion already,
> but given the massive size of the change, we though it prudent to
> discuss it with others before investing the time in making the change.
> I've set aside several days this week just to work on patches for
> this.

To me, it's no consolation that you guys are willing to make the source
and documentation changes. It doesn't matter *who* makes them, the
amount of churn is going to be enormous, the proposed changes are very
destabilizing, and I would argue that the current naming is so
entrenched that no matter how thorough you think you are being, context
will be lost.

There is also all sorts of "documentation" that is beyond your control
to change. Presentation materials, videos, blog postings, etc will all
be rendered moot the moment changes like these occur.

That's not to mention all of the current users who will now be forced to
rewire their brains to understand the new terminology.

Now the argument as I understand it is that the proposed naming is so
much more succinct, that it will make Cassandra so much easier for
people to understand, that it warrants all of this cost. That it will be
worth it in the long term. I disagree. It isn't clear to me that the
proposed names are *any* better than what we have, let alone that they
warrant this sort of disruptive change

--
Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com