From Eric Evans <eev...@rackspace.com>
Subject Re: Fixing the data model names
Date Wed, 12 Aug 2009 14:20:02 GMT
On Wed, 2009-08-12 at 01:09 -0400, Curt Micol wrote:
> the Cassandra community want this to be a requirement for using the
> software? I would think not.  Sure, most early adopters are coming
> from that paper, but it shouldn't be a source of entry to use the
> database, but rather to develop it.

I never meant to imply that it was a requirement[0], only that the
construct in question has already been named, that name has gained a
certain amount of acceptance/traction, and that name is "Column family".

Jonathan's argument for renaming "table" to "keyspace" (which I found
compelling), was that "table" was loaded with meaning for people coming
from a relational database background. The same is true here, "Column
family" comes loaded with meaning, only in this case it means exactly
what it's supposed to.

[0] Though now that you mention it, I would *strongly* recommend that
people read the BigTable and Dynamo papers before getting started.

--
Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com